Monday, March 23, 2009

Forever grateful

"Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind." - Lionel Hampton, a jazz musician

I've been in a reflective mood lately. Today, my thoughts ran to the individuals who have made a lasting impact in my life that they probably don't even know about. I'm no longer in contact with some of these people, but I wish I had a way to thank them personally. Instead, I'll just send my appreciation out to the universe and hope it reaches them somehow.

It's been about three months since the 20th anniversary of the demise of Pan Am Flight 103 and the commemoration for the 259 passengers, including 35 Syracuse University students. They were on their way back home to the States...coming back for the Christmas holidays...when their lives were ended abruptly. Although I didn't know any of the students that were aboard, I was also enrolled at Syracuse, in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, at the time. A few of them were even supposed to graduate with me and the other 5,000 plus students that year.

I had filled out the paperwork to go abroad that semester...to the same European destination as those students...but the chair of my concentration refused to sign the form allowing me to go. His rationale: I had spent the previous semester in New York City and needed to remain on campus for my senior year. I was admittedly angry with him. It didn't make sense to me then and to be completely honest it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me now?

From my mind....Things that don't make sense are often working in our favor.

To my heart...I know that now and I am forever grateful.

Thank you...

1 comment:

  1. Things happen for a reason is what they always say. May they rest in peace and may their families have found peace.

    By the way, hi! So nice to see you on here :)

    ReplyDelete

Shopping